Statistics on binary pkgsrc use

Based on a comment from John Merino on this very Digest, I managed to assemble some statistics on binary pkgsrc package use.  See my full post for the details, including some analysis.

Posted by     Categories: DragonFly, pkgsrc     7 Comments
7 Comments on Statistics on binary pkgsrc use

Respond | Trackback

1. John Marino says:

Hey great work, Justin!
    This is a really interesting report. It looks like the most prudent approach is just start at the top of the list and start working down.

Is there a published procedure to provide patches/Makefile updates to the designee? If not, what’s the process to feed this back?

2. John Marino says:

I see now it’s the most requested packages, and includes packages that build fine. Is there any way to automate a report to tell us which ones on the long list are broken? Or have dependencies that are broken?

3. faysal says:

may be i am posting an irrelevent topic but please add KICAD and QUCS in avalon repository.These are much important packages fall under CAD catagory.

4. Justin says:

I don’t see kicad in pkgsrc, and qucs is only available in the “wip” branch, which I’m not building since that’s a test area. I’m only building the current pkgsrc release branch at any given time, for a variety of reasons. If you can get those added as package to pkgsrc proper, they’ll be on avalon too.

5. Justin says:

John – the existing reports on avalon list the top “packages breaking other packages”, plus a full list of everything that didn’t work, plus links to the build logs to show what went wrong. For example:

6. Anonymous says:

??????

7. John Marino says:

Ah, ok. Thanks for the link, I wasn’t aware of that nice report.

Respond